Red Lentil Soup With Coconut Milk
This simple and delicious dahl soup is a favourite in our home. It cooks in 15 minutes and packs in lots of protein, iron and fibers. We love to warm up to a hot bowl of this soup when the weather gets chilly, and hope you and your family will enjoy it too.
You will need:
1/2 cup red lentils
1 cup water
1 vegetable soup cube
1 Cha's Organics Cinnamon Quill
¾ tsp Cha's Organics Ground Turmeric
½ tsp Cha's Organics Ground Cumin
¼ tsp Cha's Organics Coriander Seeds
½ tsp Cha's Organics Ground Ginger
¼ tsp Cha's Organics Crushed Chili Pepper (optional)
1 small onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 can Cha's Organics Premium Coconut Milk
2 slices organic lemon
1 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
Cha's Organics Black Pepper (to taste)
What to do:
- Place lentils in a medium saucepan and rinse and drain until water runs clear.
- Add water, soup cube, spices, onion and garlic.
- Heat to boiling and cook lentils for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add one can of Cha's Organics coconut milk to the lentils and let simmer another 10 minutes, or until lentils are tender.
- Garnish with cilantro, lemon slices and black pepper
Red lentils are high in protein and don't require any soaking, making them an ideal staple for for health conscious people on the go. In addition to adding delicious flavour, the spices in this recipe light the Agni (digestive fire) and therefore help to break down the protein and other nutrients in the lentils. The coconut milk, with its healthy fats, nourishes the cells of the digestive tract while counterbalancing the fiery nature of the spices. Most importantly, this recipe just makes a really good and satisfying cup of soup.