BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches with Red Cabbage Slaw
Recipe Contributed by Murielle Banackissa
- 1 can young jackfruit
- 1 Tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp ground cumin seed
- ½ tsp crushed chili pepper
- ½ tsp black peppercorns, freshly ground
- ½ tsp mustard
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 small can tomato paste (around 150 mL)
- ¼ cup water
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 cup red cabbage, sliced
- 2 spelt, kamut or glute free hamburger buns
- 2 lettuce leaves
- Rinse the jackfruit well, drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, bring the water to a boil then add the jackfruit, lower the heat and simmer until most of the water is absorbed (about 25 minutes).
- Strain the jackfruit and pull or crush each jackfruit piece into shreds then set aside.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, then sauté the onion until translucent (around 5 minutes).
- Add garlic, spices, mustard and salt and cook for an additional minute or until fragrant, stirring regularly.
- Add jackfruit, tomato paste, water, maple syrup and apple cider vinegar then cover and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Red Cabbage Slaw
- In a small bowl, combine vegan mayonnaise and lime juice and whisk until smooth.
- Add red cabbage and toss to combine.
Lightly toast burger buns then assemble sandwiches with a lettuce leaf on the bottom topped with BBQ jackfruit and finally the red cabbage slaw.