Recipe contributed by The Food Snaps
- 1 cup Ceylon red rice, uncooked
- 1 cup raw cooking soaked cashews, in cool water overnight, or at least 6 hours
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 can premium coconut milk
- 3 Tbsp virgin coconut oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 large cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup water
- 1 Ceylon yellow curry kit
- 1 small cinnamon quill
- ¼ cup green peas
- Fresh cilantro and lime wedges for garnish
- Place cashews in a bowl and cover with water. Soak overnight or for 6 hours. For a quick-soak method, pour boiling water over the cashews and soak for 1 hour. Rinse and drain thoroughly.
- While preparing the curry, cook the rice according to the directions on the pack so that it will be ready to serve alongside the curry.
- In a large bowl, combine the cashew soaked with ground turmeric and salt, then add the more liquid half of the coconut milk can and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, wok or clay cooking pot, heat the virgin coconut oil, add the mustard seeds, stir in contents of Ceylon yellow curry paste and herb pouches and sauté 1 minute.
- Add onion and sauté until translucent, then add garlic and sauté an additional 30 seconds.
- Add the cashew mixture and water to the saucepan and stir well, then cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- When the cashews are tender to the touch and most of the moisture has been absorbed, add the thicker half of the coconut milk can then stir and cook over low heat for another 15 minutes.
- Add the green peas and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve over Ceylon red rice and garnish with fresh cilantro and lime wedges.