Chickpea Curry With Mango and Coconut Milk
Recipe contributed by Joey's Plate
- 1 cup mango chunks
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp water
- ¼ tsp whole cumin seeds
- 2 tsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp ground true cinnamon
- 2 tsp ayur masala curry powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 can curry masala coconut milk
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- 400 mL can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups uncooked basmati or brown rice
- Crushed chili pepper
- Green onions, chopped
- Fresh cilantro
- Strain mango chunks, reserving the pineapple juice for another recipe or to drink.
- In a high speed blender, purée mango chunks until smooth, transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Rinse blender then purée chopped onion, ginger, garlic and water until smooth.
- In a large skillet, heat oil and lightly brown cumin seeds over high heat about 1 minute, stirring regularly so they don't burn.
- Reduce heat to medium-high, add oil and heat for a few more seconds.
- Add the puréed onion mixture and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add turmeric, cinnamon, curry powder and salt, then stir until combined.
- Add coconut milk, coconut sugar and puréed mango, then bring sauce to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- During this time, begin cooking rice according to instructions on package.
- Add the chickpeas and chopped yellow bell pepper and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Serve over basmati rice and garnish with chili flakes, green onions and cilantro.