Recipe contributed by Joey's Plate
- 1 cup unsweetened plain plant based milk
- 4 tbsp vegan butter
- 2 ½ tsp active dry yeast
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 ¼ cups gluten-free flour (with xanthan gum)
- 1/3 cup almond flour (not almond meal)
- 1 Tbsp cane sugar
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
- 1 Tbsp psyllium husks
- 2 Tbsp melted deodorized coconut oil
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¾ Tbsp ground true cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked 2h
- 6 Tbsp water
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup coconut whipped cream
- 1 Tbsp melted deodorized coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 °F and lay parchment paper in a baking dish or pie plate and set aside.
- In a small pan heat plant-based milk on medium heat to lukewarm temperature, approximately 110 °F. Be careful not to boil or simmer otherwise it might kill the yeast.
- When the plant-based milk is warm, add the vegan butter and sugar then stir until melted before adding yeast and continue to stir. Set aside uncovered for 10 minutes until it appears puffy on the surface (this indicates the yeast is activating).
- In a small cup, combine the apple cider vinegar and baking soda. Mix well and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine gluten free flour, almond flour, cane sugar, baking powder, sea salt and psyllium husks and mix well. Using a fork incorporate the cold vegan butter into the dry mixture. It should resemble wet sand, gradually add the plant-based milk and yeast mixture, and the combination of apple cider vinegar and baking soda (from step 4), stir and set aside. You should be able to form a ball when rolled, if too sticky add more gluten free flour or almond flour.
- Cover a large cutting board with plastic wrap, tuck under the cutting board to secure it in place. Generously dust the surface of the plastic wrap with gluten-free flour.
- Place the dough in the center of the board and sprinkle a bit of gluten-free flour on top. Cover with a sheet of parchment paper and use a rolling pin to roll the dough out into a large, thin rectangle about 3/8 - 1/4 in thick.
- Carefully remove the parchment paper once rolled. Brush on the melted coconut oil, sprinkle coconut sugar, cinnamon & nutmeg on top, then tap gently with fingers to make it even.
- Tightly roll the dough lengthwise using a knife or floss to cut about 8 even rolls.
- Transfer rolls to the prepped baking dish or cake pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes in a preheated oven, or until the tops are golden brown and the rolls have slightly expanded. In the meantime, prepare the icing!
- In a high-speed blender, combine all icing ingredients except coconut oil together and blend until smooth. Add the coconut oil to the smooth ingredients and continue to blend until well mixed.
- Remove rolls from the oven and let cool at least 20 minutes. Pour icing over cooled cinnamon buns and serve!