Fully Loaded Tofu Scramble
Recipe contributed by Joey's Plate
Everything you ever wanted in a breakfast and more! This fully loaded tofu scramble is perfect for Christmas morning or as a vegan option at your next holiday brunch.
- 1-2 Tbsp olive or avocado oil
- 1/4 white onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4-6 small sliced brown crimini mushrooms
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 350 g package firm tofu
- 5-2 tsp Himalayan black salt or sea salt
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 5 tsp Ayur Masala curry powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin seed
- 1/4 tsp chili pepper flakes
- Avocado, sliced
- Cherry tomatoes, sliced
- Green onions, chopped
- Hemp seeds
- Black peppercorns, freshly ground
- Combine spices, nutritional yeast and salt together in a bowl, mix well & set aside.
- Break the tofu apart with your hands to get a scramble texture and set aside.
- Over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil in a large pan then sauté the onion, garlic, mushrooms and peppers until tender (around 5 minutes).
- Add the spice blend, crumbled tofu and black beans, stirring well until the tofu is an even golden colour.
- Sauté 5-10 more minutes over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Serve on lightly toasted bread (sprouted grain, kamut or gluten free) and garnish with sliced avocado, tomatoes, green onions, microgreens, and hemp seeds. Add black pepper to taste.