Holiday Stuffed Squash
Recipe contributed by The Food Snaps
- 3 cups water
- 1 can young jackfruit, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tbsp deodorized coconut oil
- 2 cloves
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bell pepper, finely chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black peppercorns, freshly ground
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- Microgreens, chopped walnuts and pomegranate seeds for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Combine 3 Tbsp deodorized coconut oil, maple syrup, salt and pepper then lightly brush the halved squash with the oil mixture.
- Place squash halves face down on a dish then bake 50 minutes or until tender.
- While squash is baking, bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan then add rinsed jackfruit, lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Strain jackfruit then pulse in a food processor until shredded.
- Heat remaining coconut oil in a large skillet or wok over medium heat then add cloves, cinnamon and cardamom and sauté 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the onion, garlic and bell peppers then sauté 5 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add the shredded jackfruit, salt and ground spices then cook 10 minutes over low heat, stirring frequently.
- Remove baked squash from the oven and fill both halves with jackfruit filling.
- Tie both halves together with cooking string then garnish with microgreens, chopped walnuts and pomegranate seeds.