Jackfruit "Fish" Fillet
Makes 4-6 fillets
- 1 can young jackfruit in brine
- ¼ medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup water
- 2 Tbsp olive or avocado oil
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp seaweed flakes eg. dulse, nori)
- 1 vegan omega 3 algae oil capsule
- Oil for frying
- Rinse and drain jackfruit
- Cut jackfruit into medium-small shreds
- In a large saucepan bring 8 cups of water to a boil, add jackfruit pieces and boil for 20 minutes.
- Once tender, strain jackfruit and set aside
- In a high-speed blender, purée onion and garlic clove. Add jackfruit shreds, oil and 4 tablespoons of water.
- Pulse the purée mixture and jackfruit shreds. Jackfruit pieces should be small though still visible.
- Transfer jackfruit and purée mixture into a mixing bowl, add soy sauce, ground coriander, ground cumin, seaweed flakes, salt, pepper and the vegan omega 3 capsule.
- Mix ingredients until well covered.
- Form mixture into oval patties of desired size and fry each side on high for 5 minutes.
- Place fried patties on paper towel or cloth to soak excess olive oil
- Serve alongside potatoes, salad, or steamed greens