Roasted Jackfruit Jalapeño Poppers
Recipe contributed by Murielle Banackissa
- 2 cans young jackfruit, drained, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 tsp deodorized coconut oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1¼ tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 tsp coriander seeds freshly ground
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ½ cup water
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 10 jalapeños, halved, seeded and veins removed
- 1/3 cup gluten free panko breadcrumbs
- Fresh lime wedges
- Drain & rinse the jackfruit. Pull each piece apart into shreds, chopping the harder pieces finely. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400º F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Heat 1 tsp of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add onion and cook until translucent.
- Add garlic and grated ginger and cook for one additional minute.
- Add ground coriander, ground cumin, ground turmeric and ground ginger. Stir over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add shredded jackfruit, water and maple syrup and mix to coat.
- Cook on medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- Arrange jalapeño halves onto the prepared baking sheet, cut side up, then brush with the remaining 1 tsp of oil and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and divide the jackfruit filling among the 20 jalapeño halves. Reserve any remaining jackfruit for sliders or other recipes.
- Sprinkle with gluten-free panko bread crumbs then continue to bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve with lime wedges.