Jackfruit Millet Pie
Recipe contributed by Joey's Plate
- 1 ½ cup gluten free all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup coconut oil, not melted
- 5 tbsp ice cold water
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup millet, dry measure
- 3 cups water
- 2 vegetable soup cubes
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- ½ cup orange bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup celery, diced
- 1 large potato, diced
- 2 cups baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can young jackfruit boiled 35 minutes, drained and mashed
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup or coconut sugar
- 1 Tbsp tamari or coconut aminos
- 1½ tsp liquid smoke
- ¼ tsp ground true cinnamon
- ¼ tsp whole cloves, freshly ground
- ½ tsp black peppercorns, freshly ground
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 450 °F.
- In a small food processor, combine flour and salt, pulsing 2 to 3 times. Add solid coconut oil and process until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Stir in ice cold water one Tbsp at a time, until the mixture binds.
- Roll the dough into a ball and place between 2 sheets of parchment paper.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough while still between the parchment paper into a circle approximately 1 inch larger than the circumference of the pie plate.
- Using your fingers, press the dough into the pie plate, trimming the excess dough around the edges.
- Prick the crust all over with a fork and bake at 450 ˚F for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and set aside while preparing the filling then reduce the oven's heat to 400 ˚F.
- In a large skillet, fry the millet in 1½ Tbsp of olive oil for 2 minutes then add 2 cups of water along with the soup cube.
- Bring to a boil then cover, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Set aside while preparing the rest of the filling.
- In a large wok or saucepan, sauté the onions in remaining 1½ Tbsp of olive oil for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the bell pepper, celery, potato and mushrooms and continue to sauté over medium heat for approximately 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the pulled jackfruit, tomato paste, garlic, fresh thyme, tamari, liquid smoke, spices, salt and remaining 1 cup of water and soup cube.
- Incorporate the cooked millet and maple syrup then cook for an additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and allow the filling to cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Fill the cooled pie crust with the cooled filling and cover with another layer of rolled dough, then trim and crimp the edges of the crust using a fork.
- Bake at 400 ˚F for 30 to 35 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Remove from heat, let cool to minutes and serve with ketchup or gravy.