Jackfruit "Turkey" Holiday Dinner
Recipe contributed by Joey's Plate
- 2 cans young jackfruit, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups brown cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 vegetarian soup cube
- 2 Tbsp tamari
- 2 tsp fresh or dried herbs (thyme, sage and / or rosemary)
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns, freshly ground
- ¼ tsp nutmeg, ground
- 2 large white potatoes
- 3 Tbsp unsweetened soy or almond milk
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter
- 1/4 tsp black peppercorns, freshly ground
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 12 oz bag cranberries
- ½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- ½ cup water
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 2 true cinnamon quills
- 4 tsp ginger, ground
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg, ground
- zest of 2 oranges
- On a large wooden cutting board, slice the jackfruit pieces lengthwise then crush with the edge of a wooden spoon until they can be pulled apart into shreds.
- Heat the oil in a deep skillet over medium heat, then sauté the onion and garlic until translucent (around 5 minutes).
- Add the mushrooms, water, crushed soup cube and seasonings then simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender and puree, then pour back into skillet.
- Add the pulled jackfuit and simmer covered over medium-low heat for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Peel and cut potatoes into medium chunks.
- Add potatoes to a pot of cold, salted water then bring to a boil and cook until tender (around15 minutes).
- Drain and mash the potatoes, adding all remaining ingredients. Whisk to desired texture.
- Wash the cranberries and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine orange juice, water and coconut sugar until the sugar begins to dissolve.
- Add cranberries, spices and orange zest then bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Let cool 15 minutes until the sauce thickens.
Serve jackfruit mock turkey with mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce. Garnish with ground black peppercorns and sprigs of fresh rosemary.