Meatless Gluten-Free Jackfruit Sausage
Recipe contributed by Joey's Plate
Makes 12 small sausages
Perfect recipe for vegetarian sausages (need a silicone sausage mold)
- 2 cans young jackfruit, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups of water (and 1/2 for step 3)
- ½ cup textured soy protein, dry measure
- 1 cup cooked or canned chickpeas, crushed
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1/3 cup tapioca flour
- ¼ cup chickpea flour
- ¼ cup quinoa flour
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup vegan, gluten-free Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ tsp liquid smoke
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 4 tsp sea salt
- 1½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp fennel seeds, crushed
- ½ tsp black peppercorns, freshly ground
- ½ tsp crushed chili pepper
- ½ tsp oregano, dried or fresh
- Rinse the jackfruit well, drain and transfer to a medium sized saucepan, add 4 cups of water and boil on medium-high for 25 minutes or until tender.
- In a medium skillet, add olive oil and sauté onions, garlic and mushrooms for 5 minutes or until tender.
- In a small bowl, add dry texturized soy protein and pour in 1/2 cup of boiling water. Stir until fully submerged and let sit 5-10 minutes.
- In a high-speed food processor, transfer cooked jackfruit pieces and pulse until well shredded.
- Transfer jackfruit to a large bowl and add the sautéed onions, garlic, mushrooms with texturized soy protein and mix well.
- In a medium bowl, combine tapioca flour, chickpea flour, quinoa flour and nutritional yeast and add to jackfruit texturized soy protein mixture. Mix well.
- Using silicone sausage molds, form the sausages by hand before pressing mixture into the mold.
- In a stovetop basket steamer or electric steamer, steam sausages in molds or plastic wrap 35 to 45 minutes depending on thickness. Once steamed, refrigerate several hours so that they harden slightly.
- When ready to serve, heat remaining 3 Tbsp of olive oil in a medium to large skillet and cook sausages over medium heat until evenly browned.