Nut-Free Non-Dairy Cheese
Recipe contributed by Joey's Plate
Makes one 4.5" block
- 1 can coconut cream
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup agar flakes
- ¼ cup deodorized coconut oil, melted
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tsp vegan lactic acid
- 1 Tbsp pectin
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp miso paste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp arrowroot powder
- 2 Tbsp tapioca flour
- In a high speed blender or food processor, combine coconut cream, water, lemon juice, lactic acid, pectin, nutritional yeast, miso paste, onion powder, garlic powder, sea salt and agar powder. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer coconut mixture into a saucepan, bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking constantly.
- Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a high-speed blender, combine arrowroot powder, tapioca flour and coconut oil, coconut cream and spice mixture and blend until smooth.
- Transfer the blended mixture into a square mold and chill in the refrigerator for 5 hours.
- Once chilled, cut and serve in squares or slices. Texture should be soft and spreadable.