Chai Poached Pears With Coconut Whip
Recipe contributed by Joey's Plate
- 1 can coconut whipping cream, chilled overnight
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 1½ cups water
- 1 Tbsp masala chai black tea
- 1 true cinnamon quill
- 2 cardamon pods, crushed lightly until slightly broken
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp powdered maple sugar
- 3 peeled bosc pears
- Scoop the pre-chilled coconut whipping cream into a large mixing bowl and whip 1 to 2 minutes using an electric beater, until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in vanilla and maple syrup if desired and continue to whip until evenly blended.
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a low boil. Add masala chai tea blend and infuse 4 minutes.
- Once infused, strain the chai tea, return to saucepan, add whole spices along with maple syrup and maple sugar and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and gently place pears in chai infused water. simmer covered for 25 minutes, carefully turning pears every 5 minutes.
- Once evenly cooked, remove pears and set aside.
- Strain the chai infusion once more to remove the whole spices then simmer an additional 30 minutes, uncovered, until reduced to a light syrup.
- Pour chai reduction into shallow serving bowls, place pears in the bowls and serve with a dollop of coconut whip.