- 1½ cup gluten free flour
- 4 Tbsp tapioca starch
- 4 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 egg or 1 flax egg (1 Tbsp ground flax seeds & 3 Tbsp water)
- 1/2 cup vegan “buttermilk” (premium coconut milk & 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp lemon extract or lemon zest
- ½ cup deodorized coconut oil, chilled if liquid
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup raspberry jam (optional)
- 3 cups strawberries, sliced
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp lemon juice
Whipped Cream Filling
- Preheat oven to 325 °F, line a baking tray with parchment paper and dust with gluten free flour.
- If using a flax egg, thoroughly stir together the ground flax seeds and water in a small bowl. Set aside so the mixture can thicken into an egg-like texture. If using eggs, simply beat eggs and set aside.
- To make vegan buttermilk mixing room temperature coconut milk and apple cider vinegar together in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the gluten free flour, tapioca starch, coconut sugar, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add the coconut oil then use a fork to mash with the dry ingredients until the mixture forms small clumps.
- Slowly add the vegan buttermilk along with both the vanilla and lemon extract and stir until ingredients are thoroughly combined. The dough will become sticky but should not be runny. If runny, carefully add a few extra tablespoons of gluten free flour. If too dry, add a few tablespoons of coconut milk.
- Lightly flour your hands then use them to form the dough into eight one-inch patties and place these on the parchment-lined baking tray.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the top appears slightly golden brown then remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- While the biscuits are baking, marinate the sliced strawberries with the lemon juice and maple syrup and set aside.
Whipped Cream Topping
- Scoop the pre-chilled coconut whipping cream into a large mixing bowl and whip 1 to 2 minutes using an electric beater, until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in vanilla and maple and continue to whip until evenly blended.
- Once well cooled, carefully slice each shortcake biscuit in half and spread the raspberry jam over the bottom half if desired. If the biscuits are still warm the coconut whipping cream will melt so be sure to let them cool well!
- Add a dollop of the coconut whipped cream to each bottom half then add sliced strawberries before adding the top half. Garnish with sliced strawberries and fresh mint if desired.