Stuffed Acorn Squash With Jackfruit
Recipe contributed by Joey's Plate
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 2 cans young jackfruit
- 4 acorn squash
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup shiitake mushrooms, diced
- 1 Tbsp Ayur Masala curry powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin seed
- ½ tsp ground true cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp crushed chili pepper
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 1 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- ¾ cup black eyed peas
- Non-dairy cheese, crumbled or cubed
- Micro greens for garnish
- In a medium bowl, cover cashews with freshly boiled water and set aside to soak.
- Rinse and drain the jackfruit, then transfer to a medium saucepan with enough water to cover and boil 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Using a large, sharp knife, cut the top third off the acorn squash and remove the seeds. Both the tops and seeds can be roasted separately or reserved for a different recipe.
- Using only the bottom halves of the acorn squash, brush the cut side with 2 Tbsp of the olive oil, sprinkle with salt and bake 40 minutes on a parchment lined baking sheet, cut side facing down.
- While the squash is baking and the jackfruit is boiling, heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a large saucepan then sauté the onions and garlic until translucent, around 3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and spices, then sauté another 2 minutes.
- Drain the soaked cashews, discard soaking water, and add to spiced onion sauté.
- Add the water, tomatoes, and coconut sugar and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and let cool around 5 minutes, then pour into a blender and blend until smooth. Alternately, use an immersion blender to blend the sauce mixture in the saucepan.
- If using a blender, transfer the sauce back into the saucepan, add the red bell pepper and black eyed peas and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Strain the jackfruit then crush with a potato masher or back of a wooden spoon until shredded to desired texture.
- Combine the jackfruit with the sauce mixture and stir well.
- Once the squash is baked, add vegan cheese to the jackfruit filling before stuffing each squash. Garnish with micro greens and serve.