Thai Red Coconut Curry
Recipe contributed by Joey's Plate
- 1 cup dry Ceylon pearl rice
- 2 Tbsp coconut, olive or avocado oil
- ½ medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Thai red curry kit
- 1 medium carrot, peeled & sliced
- ½ cup small cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can premium coconut milk
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp sea salt (or to taste)
- 2 Tbsp vegan ginger honey or sweetener of choice to taste
- 1 small bunch rapini, cut into florets
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- ½ block tofu, cubed and pre-fried if desired
- 1 small lime, cut in wedges
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 small fresh green chili peppers, sliced
- 1 sprig of fresh Thai basil
- Black sesame seeds (optional)
- Rinse & drain 1 cup of pearl rice, then add to a medium saucepan along with 2½ cups of water and a pinch of salt.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stir, cover and reduce heat to minimum.
- Cook for 20 minutes until water is absorbed then let stand 5 minutes and fluff with a fork before serving.
- While rice is cooking, heat oil in a large sucepan or wok over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent.
- Stir in contents of red curry paste and herb pouches and sauté 1 minute.
- Add carrots and mushrooms, stir to combine and sauté 5 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, water, salt and sweetener then simmer about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add rapini, bell pepper, tofu and the juice from 2 lime wedges then simmer 3 to 5 minutes until vegetables are tender but not overcooked.
- Serve over Ceylon pearl rice and garnish with lime wedges, green onions, chili peppers, Thai basil and black sesame seeds if desired.