Vegan Pho (Vietnamese Noodle Soup)
Recipe contributed by Joey's Plate
- 2 true cinnamon quills
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 tsp ground coriander seeds
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 6 cups water
- 1 vegetarian bouillon cube
- 1 Tbsp tamari (or more to taste)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 inch piece of ginger, sliced in 4
- 400 g rice noodles (flat, not stringy)
- 6 large shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup shimeji mushrooms (bottom ends removed)
- 2 baby bok choy, sliced lengthwise in 4 pieces
- ½ cup okra, thinly sliced
- 2 fresh jalapeño peppers, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- Fresh Thai basil sprigs
- Fresh mint sprigs
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 Lime, cut in wedges
- In a medium pot over low heat, roast the cinnamon quills and cloves for about a minute, stirring frequently.
- Add the water, veggie broth cube, ground spices, fresh ginger, onions, and the chopped stems of the shiitake mushrooms.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes, then strain and pour the broth back in the pot
- Slice the shiitake mushroom caps and add them to the broth along with the shimeji mushrooms, tamari and green onions. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- In separate pots, cook rice noodles according to directions and steam the bok choy and okra for 2 minutes.
- Pour the broth into bowls, add noodles, bok choy and okra, then garnish with remaining ingredients.