Vegan Pulled "Pork" (BBQ Jackfruit)
The secret (protein) is in the sauce...
- 2 cans young jackfruit
- 2 cups water
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
For the BBQ sauce:
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 small onion
- 1/4 cup soluble protein powder (hemp or other)
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp crushed chilli (or adjust to desired heat level)
- Rinse the jackfruit well, drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, bring the water to a boil before adding the stock cube and stir until well dissolved.
- Add the jackfruit, lower the heat and simmer until most of the water is absorbed (about 25 minutes).
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Gently crush the jackfruit pieces with a potato masher or the bottom of a soup ladle to achieve a “pulled pork” texture.
- Add the olive or avocado oil and stir until jackfruit is lightly coated.
- Spread on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes turning over once.
- Meanwhile, put all of the BBQ sauce ingredients in a saucepan and blend well.
- Bring the sauce to a quick boil and take away from heat.
- Remove the jackfruit from the oven, transfer to a large mixing bowl (or the large saucepan used previously) and add the sauce, stirring well.
- Return the jackfruit to the baking sheet and bake for another 10 minutes, turning over once.
Enjoy your vegan pulled pork on bread or baked potato, or use as a filling for tacos, burritos or patties.