Recipe contributed by The Food Snaps
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup beans, chopped
- 1 cup potatoes, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- ½ cup plain, non-dairy yogurt
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 2 Tbsp curry masala
- ¼ tsp crushed chili (or to taste)
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ cups pearl rice
- 3 cups water
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup virgin coconut oil or vegan butter
- 2-3 star anise
- 2 cinnamon quills
- 6 cloves
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp garlic paste or minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp ginger paste or minced ginger
- 2 green chili peppers, sliced vertically (optional)
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 Tbsp saffron water or turmeric water
- ¼ cup cashews
- ¼ cup raisins
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, rinsed and chopped
- Mint leaves or extra cilantro for garnish
- In a medium bowl, combine the vegetables with the marinade ingredients, mixing well.
- Cover the bowl and let marinate for 30 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, rinse rice to remove excess starch then add 3 cups of water and bring to a boil on medium-high heat.
- Stir rice, cover and simmer 20 minutes on medium-low heat until water is absorbed then cover and let stand 5 minutes and fluff with a fork.
- In a large wok or saucepan, heat coconut oil or vegan butter over medium heat then add the whole spices and sauté 15 seconds, stirring well.
- Add ginger and garlic paste and sauté 15 seconds until golden.
- Add chopped tomatoes and green chilies and sauté 15 more seconds.
- Add marinated vegetables and sauté 5 minutes, stirring well.
- Cover and let cook 5 more minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add a layer of rice, saffron or turmeric water, cashews, raisins and cilantro.
- Combine all ingredients, cover and let cook on low heat for for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve warm alongside your favourite curry with a garnish of fresh cilantro or mint.