Recipe contributed by Joey's Plate
Makes 4 - 6 tacos
- 4 to 6 taco shells (hard or soft)
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves (for garnish)
- 4 to 6 lime wedges
- Vegan sour cream
- 1 can young jackfruit
- 1 Tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp ground cumin seed
- ½ tsp crushed chili pepper
- ½ tsp black peppercorns, freshly ground
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 2 avocados, peeled and pitted
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 1½ Tbsp onion, diced
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2-3 sundried tomato halves, diced (optional)
- Drain & rinse the jackfruit. Pull each piece apart into shreds, cutting or crushing harder sections into fine pieces. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, then sauté the onion and garlic until translucent (around 5 minutes).
- Add the jackfruit, spices, water and BBQ sauce then cover and simmer 25-30 minutes until tender, stirring occasionally.
- In a small food processor, purée the avocado with the lemon and lime juice
- Combine with remaining ingredients in a small bowl & mix well.