Pulled Jackfruit Chili
Recipe contributed by Joey's Plate
- 2 cans young jackfruit
- 2 Tbsp olive or avocado oil
- ¼ cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 ½ cups tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups celery, diced
- 2 cups carrots, diced
- 1 medium red onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 small can tomato paste (180 ml)
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 Tbsp maple or coconut sugar
- 1 drop food grade oregano oil or 2 tsp fresh oregano, chopped
- ½ tsp crushed chili pepper
- 1 tsp ground true cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- Cashew coconut sour cream
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2-3 green onions, finely sliced
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Freshly ground black peppercorns
- Strain and rinse the young jackfruit.
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil and cook jackfruit for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Once tender, strain the jackfruit then crush with a potato masher or back of a wooden spoon until shredded to desired texture.
- In a large skillet heat 2 Tbsp of oil over medium-high heat.
- Add red onions and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add red pepper, celery, carrots, garlic and salt and sauté for 10 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, vegetable stock, chickpeas, black beans, sugar, oregano and spices.
- Reduce heat and simmer covered for 30 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add shredded jackfruit and mix well until fully coated.
- Garnish with cashew coconut sour cream, sliced avocado, green onions, fresh cilantro and ground black pepper and serve over rice or with bread.